Share:

It’s officially summer – which means that it is time to celebrate with barbeques, pool parties and fireworks! While fireworks are legal, when misused they can be very dangerous and in some cases, deadly. At Our Urgent Care we recommend that you leave the fireworks to the professionals and here is why:

  1. On average 280 people go to the ER a day with firework-related injuries in the weeks leading up to and around the 4th of July.
  2. 22% of injuries are to the head, neck and face with 14% to the eyes, leaving many with permanent damage including blindness or severe burns.
  3. On the 4th of July, fireworks account for 2 out of 5 reported fires according to the National Fire Protection Association.
  4. Sparklers which we normally think as safe can burn up to 2,000 degrees, which is hot enough to melt some metals.
  5. On average 3 people per year die in the US due to firework-related injuries.

If you do choose to use fireworks as part of your celebrating, here are some tips to maximize safety:

  • Never allow your children to play with fireworks. If you do decide to let your children have sparklers, make sure they keep them outside and away from their face, clothing, and hair.
  • Buy only legal fireworks and make sure that they are legal where you live. Legal fireworks will be labeled.
  • Make sure to use fireworks outside and have a bucket of water and a hose nearby at all times – fires can start easily.
  • Make sure that nobody is standing near fireworks when they are being set off.
  • Fireworks should never be pointed at another person.
  • Don’t hold fireworks in your hand or have any part of your body over them while lighting. Wear eye protection, and don’t carry fireworks in your pocket — the friction could set them off.
  • Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brush and leaves and flammable substances.
  • Light one firework at a time (not in glass or metal containers), and never relight a dud.
  • Soak all burned fireworks in water before throwing them away.
  • Do not set off fireworks near your pets. Fireworks are extremely loud for a pet’s sensitive ear. Keep your pets inside in order to reduce stress, prevent injuries and keep them from running away.

At Our Urgent Care we wish all of our patients a safe and happy summer. We encourage you to enjoy responsibly and to leave the fireworks to the professionals.